Safety Advisory - Advantage® Respirator Cartridges Packaged Incorrectly
MSA recently learned that two lots of Advantage P100 Cartridges and one lot of Advantage GMA-P100 Cartridges were packaged in plastic bags identified as containing GME-P100 Cartridges. Since the cartridges are less protective than the bags indicate, there is a potential risk that users could be overexposed.
The P100, GMA-P100 and GME-P100 Cartridges are NIOSH approved for the following:
- P100 – all particulate aerosols
- GMA-P100 – organic vapors, and all particulate aerosols
- GME-P100 – organic vapors, chlorine, sulfur dioxide, chlorine dioxide, hydrogen chloride, hydrogen sulfide, ammonia, methylamine, formaldehyde, hydrogen fluoride, and all particulate aerosols
Although incorrectly packaged in bags identified as GME-P100, the P100 and GMA-100 Cartridges are labeled correctly and each package contains a NIOSH approval insert that matches the cartridges. In addition, the over-pack boxes, containing multiple 2-packs of cartridges were labeled correctly as P100 or GMA-P100 cartridges. Affected cartridges may be identified as follows:
- P100 Cartridges: Affected P100 Cartridges are in GME-P100 bags marked with the date code “1816”. These packages of cartridges may have been used to fill orders for the MSA P/N 815369 (package of two P100 Cartridges) or MSA P/N 815366 (package of two GME-P100 Cartridges). The over-pack cartons are marked as Lot “0524” or Lot “0525”. The incorrectly packaged cartridges were shipped from MSA between May 6, 2016 and May 28, 2016.
- GMA-P100 Cartridges: Affected GMA-P100 Cartridges are in GME-P100 bags marked with the date code “3116”. These packages of cartridges may have been used to fill orders for the MSA P/N 815362 (package of two GMA-P100 Cartridges) or MSA P/N 815366 (package of two GME-P100 Cartridges). The over-pack cartons are marked as Lot “0201”. The incorrectly packaged cartridges were shipped from MSA between August 5, 2016 and August 15, 2016.
Please inspect your cartridge purchases as follows:
- Purchasers of cartridge 2-packs of the 815369 P100 Cartridges, 815362 GMA-P100 Cartridges, or 815366 GME-P100 Cartridges should inspect the cartridge bags received from potentially affected orders for GME-P100 bags with a date code of “1816” and “3116” and return any with these date codes to MSA for replacement.
- Purchasers of over-packs of the 815369 P100 Cartridges should inspect the over-pack box labels for Lots 0524 and 0525 and return any over-packs with these lot numbers to MSA for replacement.
- Purchasers of over-packs of the 815362 GMA-P100 Cartridges should inspect the over-pack box labels for Lot 0201 and return any over-packs with this lot number to MSA for replacement.
The Date Code is located at the top or bottom of the 2-pack bag and the Lot Number appears on the over-pack box label. See example on the attached Safety Advisory.
To return affected cartridges and obtain replacements, please complete the Return/Replacement Order Form on the attached file and email it to MSA Customer Service at the appropriate email address below. Replacement cartridges will be shipped to you immediately and we will forward instructions for returning the affected cartridges. MSA Customer Service Contact Information:
If you have any questions, please contact MSA Customer Service as follows:
We apologize for any inconvenience that this situation may cause; however, your safety and continued satisfaction with our products is most important to us.
Charles J. Seibel, Jr.
Manager of Product Safety
Customer Safety Advisory and Return/Replacement Order Form